When you access or receive our Services, we may collect a variety of personal information about you, including:
Personal information we collect directly from you
● Information required to subscribe to our newsletters, i.e. name, email, job description, login ID (for SomeOthaShip News)
● Information required to sign up for and administer membership, e.g. name, contact details, membership status, affiliated sections, SomeOthaShip ID, login ID, payment details, joined committees, personal website details
● Information required to sign up to and administer events, e.g. name, contact details, login ID, profile photo, proof of student or professional status, country of residence, date of birth, gender, name of attended/registered event, your registration status (such as sponsor, delegate or student member), payment details, access or dietary requirements
● Information required to purchase items through the Website online store, e.g. name, contact details, payment details
● Information required to submit a job posting to the SomeOthaShip Job Board, e.g. your name, contact details and company
● If you are a student, your school name and advisor name and contact details (to verify your student status)
● Personal information provided to us if you contact us or make an enquiry, such as your contact details in our records of that correspondenceor submitting a membership research request form to locate a missing SomeOthaShip ID or login ID (including your name, contact details, company name, login IDs, birthday, date of membership)
● Personal information provided to us if you choose to complete any surveys or questionnaires for us, enter a competition or promotion of ours or participate in forums, discussion boards or other social media functions on our Website
● Personal information if you post or transmit information via the Website to other users, e.g. discussion forums
● Records of which of our Services you are interested in and which Services you purchase.
Information received from other sources
● Your applicable SomeOthaShip Section
● Technical information regarding your visits to the Website including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data
● Any parties you have authorised to register for an event or make a booking on your behalf
● Any relevant personal information that you may have submitted to our third party service providers in the course of them providing the Services on our behalf, including for example, business partners, sub-contractors in technical, payment and delivery services, advertising networks, analytics providers, search information providers.
We will let you know at the point of collecting your information whether this is optional, or whether it is necessary for you to provide this information to meet certain statutory or contractual requirements. If the latter and you do not wish to provide us with this information, this may limit the services we are able to provide you.
If the data we hold about you is inaccurate in any way, please contact us to have your personal information corrected.
We will only use your personal data if we have a permitted lawful basis to do so. Generally we collect your personal data because is it necessary for:
● performing our contract for the Services with you;
● the pursuit of our legitimate interests (as set out below); or
● complying with our legal obligations.
We may also rely on your consent to use your personal data for:
● Keeping you informed of SomeOthaShip events, products and offers, e.g. through our regular newsletters and printed journals (see “Marketing Communications” below);
● Administering competitions or promotions
● Using your profile or images in promotional materials or creating content for membership services (e.g. featuring you in SomeOthaShip Live videos or event flyers)
● Publishing your details on the SomeOthaShip membership directory
You have the right to withdraw your consent to these activities at any time, which will mean (unless another lawful basis applies to your data) that we will cease to process the affected data after consent is withdrawn. However, please note this may result in us being unable to provide you with certain features of the Website and/or Services.
The primary purpose for which we collect information about you is to provide you with Services you have requested from us (i.e. to perform our contract with you). We also collect information about you for the following purposes:
To perform our contract with you
· To provide members with their membership benefits, e.g. access to the SomeOthaShip e-library
· To process your communications, your membership of and subscription to the Website and to enable your use of the Website and the Services (including through our membership referral programme)
· For selling and supplying Services to you
· To provide customer care services. For the avoidance of doubt, we will only store limited Credit Card or Debit Card information for the purpose of assisting with customer care enquiries
· To open and run your account
· For continuity of service, (e.g. to restore your membership if you are coming back after a long break). This will be in accordance with our data retention practices (see “How long do you keep my data?” below)
· To provide you with information, products or services that you request from us
· For handling customer contacts, queries, complaints or disputes.
Where you have opted into marketing communications, you agree that we may use your information to contact you by your chosen method of electronic mail (e.g. by email) about tailored offers, events, competitions, items or related activities that you may find useful, as well as other similar products and services offered by us or any of our related entities from time to time. We do not sell, trade or rent your personal information to any third parties.
You may receive marketing communications from SomeOthaShip, Inc or the SomeOthaShip Sections you have opted to receive communications from (see “About us” above) unless you withdraw your consent from receiving such marketing communications. You can do this at any time by changing your communication preferences on your Member Portal or clicking the “unsubscribe” option in any marketing communications you get from us.
How long do you keep my personal data?
We keep your data for as long as it’s necessary to meet the relevant purposes for which we’ve collected your data, including for the purpose of satisfying any legal, accounting or reporting requirements.
To determine the appropriate length of time for holding your data, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal data, the potential risk of harm, from unauthorised use or disclosure of your personal data, the purpose for which we process your data and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, along with the applicable legal requirements.
In particular, if your SomeOthaShip membership lapses we will retain minimum data such as original Join date, membership category, number of member payments, last known email address, to allow us to reconnect your SomeOthaShip membership account and reinstate your previous membership privileges should you return to SomeOthaShip membership at a future date. If you would like us to delete your personal information completely once your membership lapses, please contact us.
Cookies and other technologies
Third party links on the Website
Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partners, organisational sustaining members, sponsors, job advertisers, social media pages and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that websites have their own privacy policies and that we are not in control of, and do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies or any third party website linked to the Website. Please check these policies before you submit any personal information through these websites.
Changes to this policy
If you have any queries relating to this privacy notice (including any requests to exercise your legal rights in respect of your data), you can contact us at form or by writing to us at SomeOthaShip, Inc, 937 Clement Street, Atlanta, GA 30303, USA.